Tuesday 27 January 2015

9. What wouldn't I miss? Private cars in the CBD ...










Top shot I took Sunday just gone, when the mercury tipped 35C. From the Pylon Lookout, facing south looking along the Bradfield Highwy. Two historic shots below: first by Max Dupain in 1938, second by John Tanner in 1956. Both show vehicles streaming south from the bridge.



I wanted to say that I would not miss Sydney's traffic snarls, but as I no longer drive but go everywhere by public transport, this may seem self-serving. What I dream of is a city so well-serviced by public transport, that individuals no longer take their private car through, or into, the CBD. Park the vehicle at a hub 20 kms out, and train/bus in and out. IMO, the CBD should be for the use of pedestrians, and cyclists. And light-rail, whenever that comes.



So, should I have to leave my be-lov-ed city, which I will only do in a box, I will not miss the bumper-to-bumper cars endangering the lives of pedestrians.



And so we come to the 10th post in this series. I know what it is now, but it only occurred to me this morning. I've been pretending to be Bach, what with my theme and variations. Shall reveal all this coming Sunday, Theme Day. Back to ferries tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment