Thursday 20 October 2022

STL DPB ON THE ROAD - MISERY

This show has been playing in this theater for decades. It's a wonder that it still sells tickets but it does. The image brought back a memory.

August 1989. I had a big herniated lumbar disc and was scheduled for surgery the next month. Bad pain down my left leg when I was up very much. Our family had scheduled a trip to London and Ireland before my injury. I asked my surgeon whether I could go. He gave me a prescription for Vicodin and said to do what I wanted.

So off we went with a rented wheelchair. We went to this show, with me sitting in a handicapped area at the back. I have a strong memory of sitting in my chair on this corner in the West End swirl after the show, trying to wave down a taxi from a position where I was very hard to see. Let's say it took a while.

There were some benefits from this situation. My wife and I got into the London Zoo for free because I was an "invalid" and she was my "pusher." And later, when we got to Ireland, I found that Vicodin and Guinness was the perfect pain cocktail.             

No comments:

Post a Comment