Saturday 12 November 2016

Star Spangled Banner


You can't cry into it. It's too big. And these days it's very hard for me to see clearly.

I keep thinking of the clip below. 19 year old me was there, although I can't say I remember it very clearly. Some of the feelings about my country are the same today as 47 years ago.


As mentioned, I'll be documenting the anti-Trump rally downtown this afternoon. There has been some interesting commentary on these demonstrations. Trump won the election lawfully, although only because of our bizarre Electoral College system that allowed Clinton win the popular vote and lose the race. Is it helpful or appropriate for the losers just to blow off rage? I don't think so, unless it makes some people feel better for a while. As Stephen Colbert said on Wednesday, being an American citizen is like family: you're in it whether you like it or not.

On the other hand, it begins the process of common struggle and resistance that some of us feel is necessary. For example, if the party in power tries to dismantle Social Security (a subject I know a lot about) or permits environmental degradation, I hope masses of people take to the streets. I'd be with them.              

No comments:

Post a Comment