Sunday 17 December 2017

Overhead work in the Holy Sepulchre

.

In the 12th Station of the Cross I was surprised to see a man working ABOVE the heads of the many pilgrims and tourists.
I was there at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre a few weeks ago.
Had to take the pictures in the dark, so click a few times on the photos to enlarge them and see a bit of detail.


Everyone was waiting in line for a chance to kneel under the Greek Orthodox altar and touch the stone of Calvary.
Being Jewish and not Christian, this is not something I do, so I was quite happy to instead watch the work going on overhead.


I think the man is Rael Khalil, a Palestinian restoration expert from the Jericho Mosaic Center.


You can see a video about him and read about mosaic cleaning and restoration in the Chapel of Calvary (aka Golgotha) in this article by the Franciscans.
.
(Linking to inSPIRED Sunday meme.)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment